Saturday, February 2, 2013

Poop - YAY!!

Yes, this one's about poop.  What goes in must come out.  And this kid eats A LOT.  I mean in one day, sometimes in one meal, he eats more than most kids eat in a week.  I've known for a long time that Kaiden's body doesn't digest food properly, which is part of the reason he eats so much.  At our last doctor's visit, we finally found some bromelain-free digestive enzymes . . . and we are FINALLY back to solid poop!  This excites me to no end! 

Yes, I am excited by solid poop.  Why?  Well, Kaiden's 4 and is still in diapers.  He knows when he needs a clean diaper and can tell me when he wants a diaper change, but he cannot yet tell me he needs to go.  Well, he probably tries, but being non-verbal I'm sure I miss some cues.  The great thing about cloth diapers is that the dirty ones smell less than dirty disposables. The less-than-solid poop he'd been having was pretty foul, even in cloth.  This new solid stuff, I can hardly smell it.  If I'm not right next to the kid when he does it, I have no idea that he's pooped until I go to check his diaper!  And the best part  . . .  messy pooped on cloth diapers sometimes (okay, most of the time) require a diaper sprayer and that can get even more messy.  Solid stuff just rolls right off.  So much easier!

Solid poop also means that Kaiden eats less.  Not a whole lot less, but less, because he's getting more out of what he eats.  If he eats this much now, I don't even want to know how much he'll eat as a teenager.  He'll probably skeletonize a few cows per week! 

Weight update - in the last 3 months with the change in amino acid supplements (see last post) he has gained 0.2 pounds - not a whole lot, but it's at least something.  I'm hoping he'll do even better now that his poop is so much better.  Let me tell you  how sick I am of people assuming I'm starving the poor child because he is so tiny.  And of course they are full of unhealthy suggestions, none of which I will consider following because those suggestions are NOT healthy options.  Stop the SAD, people.  It's not good for you!

No comments: