Saturday, October 8, 2011

Serious stuff for the day

I was reading a blog interview with the creator of Crappy Pictures (which are totally hilarious, by the way!).  She talked about seeing that "perfect mom" in the grocery store who is always put together; her kids are spotless and well behaved.  Huh.  This just made me think a little since Kaiden is getting much more mobile and is very store-shelf grabby.  Right now I think he's fun to shop with . . . although I'm sure that's going to change and soon I'll be begging people to babysit just so I can spend a few peaceul moments by myself at the grocery store!
Sometimes I feel like I try to project that Perfect Mom image.  When I get dressed for the day, I try to look "put together", I like it and it makes me feel like I can accomplish more . . . I don't know why, but everyone likes to look good, right?  So when I think Kaiden's going to be messy, I don my apron to save my clothes - which really is just because I don't care if the apron gets stained, but I don't want to have to do special laundry for a stained shirt.  I'm lazy like that.  And my apron is pretty, so of course I like wearing it.  I do make sure Kaiden is clean before we head out the door anyway.  Or at least in a clean diaper with a clean face.  And Kaiden is fairly well-behaved in the stores . . . as long as I keep the cart moving. 

But this isn't my point.

My point is, back when Kaiden was having seizures and wasn't doing much of anything at all . . . it was easy to look like that Perfect Mom.  But little did anyone that saw us know how frustrating life with a special needs child can be.  While that was a really rough time, I am thankful for it since it makes me REALLY appreciate how Kaiden is now.

So, the next time you see that Perfect Mom and think she's got it all and you sometimes wish you had that life . . . remember that things aren't always what they seem.

No comments: